Friday 8 April 2011

Infra Red Webcam Hacks and Why Once Again My Mac Is Useless

I have now (I believe) got my working model sorted out all the parts are coming together in my brain, I just have one problem and hopefully it can be traversed with software, and that is that all my ideas are based on Windows based hardware hacks, and I admit I really should have seen this coming.

I have decided on two gloves the right hand will primarily be the mouse controller, this will work on gesture control using the Webcam-Whiteboard program. This will require me to hack a Web-cam and remove the Infra Red filter. I can then cannibalise an old mouse for the left and right click. This will mean losing almost one complete set of control sets, but this can be regained on the other hand.

The left hand will then become the other control, W,A,S,D controls I am aiming to have connected to an old analogue stick circuit, failing that I will aim to have Flex switches than can be used as directional controls and Reed Switches for button presses.

List (this is literally bits of wire and stuff)


·         2 pairs of nylon work gloves
·         About 2ft square of neoprene
·         Meters and meters of wire
·         A roll of conductive thread
·         Infra Red LED (2)
·         Old USB mouse
·         Old analogue controller
·         Between 4 and 8 Reed switches
·         4 Flex switches
·         One iPac2 unit
·         One high FPS webcam with the IR filter removed
Software

·         Webcam-Whiteboard
·         A Game
·         iPac2 controller interface

Links:

Webcam-whiteboard
Analgoue Controller
IR pass filter for webcams



No comments:

Post a Comment