Friday 25 March 2011

Big Update 1 of 3


Spent the last few weeks scratching my head over the design of the gloves what I finally decided was that I would make a card board prototype of my first idea, a two material ribbed structure, essentially semi flexible ribs attached with a fully flexible material, my first thoughts were to use the nylon gloves I had been using as prototype testers for the components, I cut these down into fingers thumb and hand, I then used the dimensions of my hand that I had made a few weeks ago to make the ribs out of cardboard.


After getting into the first two fingers I reassembled the glove, this was to allow me to see the difference in dexterity unfortunately as I had calculated the lateral change in surface area, that is to say that flexing your fingers effectively lengthens the top and shortens the bottom of each finger. What I hadn’t allowed for was the change in width so although the cardboard ribs were measured to perfection they constricted movement, so back to the drawing board/ sketch book.


I’ve looked further into the idea of adding optical mouse control to one hand, and although it seems do able the relocation of the mouse buttons has proved to be a bit of a pain, what I really need is a better de-soldering tool, and a more comprehensive wiring diagram for the mouse I have.
A couple of links to go with post from the ever amazing Instructables.com
The first is a great article that goes through every step of home circuit board making followed by a ‘persistence of vision’ business card it an awesome idea and if I can get the costs down I might work out something similar for my own business cards.
As business is a part of our brief, making business cards and websites and all of that, I might well look into showing off some of my electronics/ hardware/ engineering  skill in a business card format.

No comments:

Post a Comment